Saturday, January 1, 2011

Cookie Cutter

We don't lead a "normal" life.

Days are much too long.  Night are much too short.

And I don't think I would have it any other way.

I must admit there are moments ever so fleeting where I worry about the future.  I wonder if we will ever trust anyone enough to care for Matthew if necessary.  I worry about Autumn's reaction to the news of her adoption. 

And then, Autumn giggles with her entire body or Matthew shows progress when we didn't think it was possible, and I decide to live in the now. 

We are not a cookie cutter family.

There are things on my kitchen counter most people would not understand.  I test urine (which is a nice way of saying that I play with pee) every morning.

50% of my day revolves around both of my children and their bowel movements.  

And I don't think I would have it any other way.

I realized something not long after Matthew came home.
Children with special needs are pretty cool.

My kid's see the world in a way I would never have known.  Matthew absorbs every sound.  He coos at a cat's meow or the wind-chime.  I have learned to tune those things out.


Autumn gets so very excited about everything.  When I walk through the door its a party!  I have taught myself how to expect the mundane.

I am so thankful for the daily lessons I am taught by these "special" children.

And I don't think I would have it any other way.


Being in the very presence of our children is humbling.
I sometimes forget how important a hug can be. 
Our children don't. 
I forget how unimportant clean dishes are. 
Our children don't. 

So as 2011 begins, so does a new found appreciation for the tiny treasures hidden in our everyday.  

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
John Lubbock


No comments:

Post a Comment